Purchasing the Paint Supplies, Not Happy with Pricing..

So today I went out to purchase all the supplies for the painting process of the cabinet and to say i was not in the least bit impressed with the amount everything cost me. After an hour of shopping I felt i had been taken advantage of without the proper use of lube! So was it the fact just the basic supplies and primer cost me $135? or was it the Gallon of Donkey Kong Blue paint that cost $60? I'll let you be the judge!

So here's the supplies purchased today: Kilz Original Primer, Mineral Spirits, Drop Cloth, Painters Tape, Sanding Block, 220 Sandpaper, 400 Sandpaper, Masking Paper, Respirator, Eye Protection, Paint Trays, Roller, 2 Packs Foam Roller Replacements, 2.5 Microfiber brush, 0000 Steel Wool. Lastly Color Matched paint from Sherwin Williams.

The most important thing to note is the use of Oil/Alkyd primer & paints in this process over latex.Those who know the true difference would understand exactly why I have chosen this type. Oil sticks to more surfaces than latex ensuring i get the primer to stick and stay to the side of the formica. As well in the end as formica I want a very hard / Solid smooth finish to replicate what was there and oil is the closest thing to replicate this. 

I got the color of blue off the net from another poster's Sherwin Williams paint. After searching all over looking at different codes I found his to look the closest to the true color. So a label pic was online and i simply copied all the information off of it and trust me it worked out to my benefit! The person who posted made a batch up back in 2008 used a product they had since discontinued and in order to be able to make the base I wanted the only thing he could use was direct to metal paint which just happens to be about $100 per gallon. Being the order # was on the label he looked it up found the account it was originally purchased under and took the price that was originally charged and that's what I paid I guess saving a little over $40 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment