Bezel Retainer Fixed up

Ok, So Now I have searched high and low on the internet and asked others what exactly that black plastic sheet over the wood retainer holding the Bezel was, and nobody has been sure exactly what it is so I figured something that I think is close enough and fits perfectly. This piece of plastic originally began to peel off and I'm sure I could have stuck some glue on it and made it look better but it was still pretty beat up, so I just  replaced it. I found Black ABS plastic with a width of .020 was the best match. Though the original stuff Nintendo used had carboard/paper mix I found from having to scrape all the shit off with a razor, I dont think anyone will notice the difference :)

So I ordered 2 pieces of the ABS plastic cut to the exact dimensions as I only paid $4 for each piece you never know, you just might need another :) They are Matte Black as my samples earlier the "Gloss" was way to "glossy" and as this plastic scratches pretty easy I didn't want it to look awful by the time I was done installing it. I used Plastic/Vinyl contact cement to apply it after sanding the surface smooth. I used my finger to rub it into the retainer itself, then to cover the back of the plastic, pushed and held it on tight for about 5 minutes and instant shit to sweet occurred! I know the flash on the camera shows the pieces ends but when looking at it you cant really see where it goes from plastic to wood on the sides of the cabinet making it fit in place nicely with the color match!

So as all the odd's and ends are getting finished the last major things left in this project are making new terminals for the power supply to support the Donkey Kong pinout to the harness, the parts are in the mail and as soon as those come in I will be pulling out the soldering iron and getting to work on that. The other thing that still has to be completed is the powder coating on the coin door, Bezel Bracket, & Marquee retainer in which I am in search for a good pricing on that as of now. once those two things have been completed I till be just putting everything back together! Stay tuned more updates to come

2 comments:

  1. Hello can you post where you got the plastic and the exact dimensions/color you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I don't check this blog to often. I ordered the pieces from a company called "Direct Color Systems" The thickness was .020 Mono Black. As for dimensions I can't remember as I can't find the receipt only the sample pieces I was given. I didn't post this information as the small piece I ordered (Enough to cover that board turned out to be expensive, and cheaper options could probably be obtained elsewhere.

      Delete