Ordering Parts & Getting Prepped

So I last had the cabinet completely stripped. I just finished removing the Side Art from the side where it remained with the coin door sticker. The Side Art was easy to remove with a razor blade and came off in many pieces it was obvious the sticker was original and just old. I now have all the sticky residue left over that needs to be removed. I picked up some bondo but appears from talking to people I also need to pick up some 3M Adhesive remover to get the gunk off before I can start patching and sanding.


I have been a bit lazy about the project as of late when i was determined to have a good amount done this month so I went ahead and ordered the parts from Arcadeshop.Com this included the Marquee, Bezel, Side Art, Control Panel overlay CPO/Marquee/Coin stickers as Well I figured having some of the new parts would help motivate me to getting it done. In the meantime I need to get some sandpaper and adhesive remover. Primer & Paint and I should be a step closer to getting this done :)

UPDATE
So I ended up picking up some 3M Adhesive remover from the auto section at walmart. When getting home and trying it out I had to develop a technique in order to get the damn goop off of the side. I would spray quickly then use a razor blade on the area. I found if i kept scraping it would dry up quickly causing the gunk to reattach to the cabinet. I would learn the quickest and most effective way to do this process was to hold the razor in one hand with the 3M can in the other with a shop rag laying on the side of the cabinet. I would spray a small area use the razor on it and essentially move the razor in a circle and then scoop up the removed goop with the razor and wipe it off on the rag and continue to the next area.

With the amount of effort it took to get this sticker off, I am now pretty positive whatever was on my cabinet was not adhesive but some sort of glue. I was really thick, came off in large pieces that did not lose its elasticity and was in yellowish color. The other stickers came off with little to no effort whatsoever. I have posted a picture if you click on it you can see within the white line I circled where it is and how yellowish and thick it looks.


You could in essence just sand it off but I can only see that taking more time and sand paper in the end. I have herd of goof off and other products but I will have to say the 3M Adhesive remover is the best product and has worked better than any of the others I have used in the past. Now time for the Bondo!

No comments:

Post a Comment