Blue Finished Now On to Black!

Finally! did I mention I'm not going to be painting another cabinet for awhile? 3 Weeks and finally done with the Blue! The final and 3rd coat was put on 2 days ago and will be sitting till Monday before I begin the black paint. The Enamel/Oil based paints take 3-5 days just to dry and wet sanding within the first week after a coat is placed is out of the question, it will just take the paint right off!

I think I did a pretty damn good job with the fact I was using a roller and
the surface turned out smooth and flawless but not without a lot of time consuming hand sanding. I decided to do just 3 thin coats as I found with oil based the more paint you put on top of the old coat does not make it any smoother it just requires a lot more sanding to flatten out. I'm glad I found this out early on and took thin coats as my first approach as I saved myself from having to spend an hour or more later down the road fixing it with 80 grit. On the down side though of that $60 gallon of paint I only ended up using less than a quart...I guess I will be prepared if for any reason I need a touch up or if I ever get another Nintendo cabinet that needs to be restored...lets hope that's no time soon.

So unlike I did with using oil based for the blue I will be using Latex (Semi Gloss) for the black, reasoning why, latex is cheaper, fast drying, less of a mess to clean up, easier to work with and correct, not as nearly visible as the blue and certainly hides almost all flaws and lastly I think it will look closer to the black that's inside the cabinet already (Not the edges). So I will be posting the pics on Monday when the paint is dry and I can get a good shot of the final look of Blue on the cabinet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment