The Beginning & Overview Of My Project

So I am starting a blog on the conversion of my original dedicated Nintendo Popeye Cabinet to a Donkey Kong 60 in 1 Cabinet! Yes I understand there are umpteen bajillion DK Restore sites on the net and that's fine and dandy we got it, but how many do you have using the components of your Ninty cab and making it accept jamma? think it about it for awhile...take all the time you need....

So being there really is none and very little info on it I'm going to go ahead and post photos and information on my project to help those out there that might be considering doing the same thing! I do understand there are a few individuals out there who believe regardless of ownership all cabinets should be restored to their previous "glory" those said people are the same individuals who disappear when you ask them to help out with the financial burden of undertaking such a feat. So to those people tough tootles!

So As of now I have a dedicated Popeye cabinet as mentioned fully working though in rough shape including but not limited to faded monitor, missing side art, large scratches in sides and front, beat up base, scratched bezel, cracked marquee etc... The machine has seen better days! I initially bought the cabinet for $250 with intent to restore as Popeye but after playing the game hundreds of times I'm just well....bored of it.
We have a local Pizza parlor that currently has a restored DK Cab in it that makes me gitsy every time I see the damn thing and I love DK so I figured why not?

1. Strip Cabinet of all components
2. Bondo/Repair all Knick, Dings etc
3. Sand & Paint Cabinet
4. Cap The Monitor
5. Install all brand New DK Silk Screened Plexi Marquee, Bezel, CPO & Side Art
6. New T-Molding
7. Install 60 in 1 Jamma PCB

So why the 60 in 1 when you want DK? Why not build a MAME Machine? ok 1st off I built a MAME cabinet nearly 10 years ago after dumping a few grand into making an amazing looking cab that has everything I ever wanted (pictured to the right) there's something about the feel of an original arcade machine vs a Mame cabinet, especially the Nintendo games! So lets get to the figures though $250 for the cabinet with working components, $200 for all new side art, Marquee, Bezel, CPO & Additional placement stickers so that's $450 so far! Now anyone priced or can find a Working Donkey Kong PCB & Power supply? not to mention the harness if your going for a 4 Board? On a Good Day a fully restored DK Cab will run you on avg $700-900 now at $450 (Not including Paint, T-Molding, Misc supplies) + 200-250 for the DK PCB/PS/Harness your already in the ballpark of $700! Take the 60 In 1 Route an additional $110 to your $450 your looking more in the $600 ballpark, A profit can be made here and you don't have to worry in the end if you could have saved money by buying a restored one instead!

I personally don't care if the donkey Kong I am playing is %100 authentic as long as it works, now that should simply be the end of story as its "my" private machine in "my" household but to simply throw it out there it does in fact make me cringe when someone chops up and hacks a perfectly good working arcade machine when the time and money dispensed into creating a mame machine could have been cheaper by simply acquiring an old non working beyond completion arcade cabinet. So therefore I have planned this so All Popeye parts will be boxed and shelved in the event if I ever sale it the buyer has 2 simple options: 1: obtain the DK power supply & PCB and just simply plug & Play as nothing is getting chopped or hacked! or... acquire Popeye Side art and put the pieces back in and have a great looking Popeye machine!

I intend to start the project Early next month when I place the order for all the parts in the meantime I have been simply disassembling it as I have cleared my basement to set up shop for completing it! Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Amazing job !!!! i just started building my own from scratch and looking at yours, i cant wait to make mine !!

    I am just wondering about the side art dimensions, i found two sizes online, and i am not sure which one is right ?

    Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arcadeshop.com has the best side art I wouldn't purchase any others. If you check out the next section on the blog I cover it in detail :)

      Delete