Control Panel Completed while 2nd Coat dries.

Since I got the T-Molding in I decided while the paint was drying on the cab it would be a perfect opportunity to fix up the control panel. Now the board has a black laminate finish that wasn't "too" bad, but it was really tore up on the edge where the T-Molding sat and eventually was coming off. This was a "Huge" eyesore and I suppose I could have did touch up paint but that never looks all that great when your looking straight at it so i just went ahead and did very light sanding simply to knock any crap off of it and get the splintered edge smooth again.

After sanding down the edge I went ahead and cleaned it up and applied Black adhesive vinyl to the top of it. The vinyl went on smoothly and turned out really nice! I figured as cheap as a sheet is if anything were to happen again it could be easily replaced and best of all unlike paint it covers the difference of thickness of the worn edge and looks flush with the T-Molding applied. I used an exacto knife to cut away the holes and joystick area, brought the vinyl down half way of the edges and cut there to ensure it kept a good hold and didn't just peal away from the edges over time.

With the vinyl on I carefully installed the buttons, joystick, wire harness, and other hardware including the brand new Control panel overlay! Just as I had mentioned before the carriage bolts and buttons covered up the offset printing so its impossible to see. The Control panel looks absolutely beautiful now I was really quite impressed with what a brand new CPO, T-Molding & Vinyl could do. I guess I was just so used to the beaten up popeye parts. I didn't make any adjustments to the joystick I have heard several people like to clean them up and apply new grease to them but the stick seems to move just fine to me. I have also heard other people having really bad results with grease after a bit it begins to give a gummed up sticky feeling, I really didn't want to risk it, but for those who are interested in making the joystick slick as silk I've seen the Bikers telethon lubricant works wonders. Now just one more coat of Blue paint to be applied  tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment