New connectors for Power supply finished & hooked up.

So I mentioned before that I would be using a Popeye Conversion power supply from Arcade Shop, well... I ended up getting a better deal for a PP-7B Power supply out of a Donkey Kong Jr Cocktail cab I decided to use instead, maybe a bigger headache on my end but keeps things more authentic in restoration to DK. Now this power supply unlike the PP-900A (Popeye) Has the +12V & -5V leads coming from it in which is needed to power Mark's Adapter as well as Jamma (The -5v is also used for the Video inverter on Marks adapter but typically not many Jamma boards require the -5v)

Now that I had the voltage needed it was a matter of getting the proper voltages from the pins to the harness. Popeye as all others had the 2 connectors (9 pin & 10 pin) that lead the correct VDC to the proper pins on the Edge Adapter, since this was Popeye though and a different Power Supply, these did not match up with corresponding pinout for Donkey Kong. I could have chopped up Popeye's adapters and made it work but again I am not chopping anything up or destroying the integrity of any of the original pieces so I opted to make my own connectors.

If you have the the PP-7B Power supply here's the Pinout for the 9 & 10 leads

10 pin connector to Video
1 Brown –5v
2 Red –5v
3 Orange –5v
4 Yellow –5v
5 Green Ground
6 Blue Ground
7 Purple Ground
8 Gray Ground
9 White +5v
10 Black +5v

9 pin connector to CPU
1 Brown Ground
2 Red Ground
3 Orange Ground
4 Yellow +12v
5 Green +12v
6 Blue +5v
7 Purple +5v
8 Gray –5v
9 White +24v (meter)
(List compiled by dokert)

As you can see from the pictures I simply used the same color of wires as Nintendo did on their harness, though I was very surprised to find the colors actually matched the colors to the harness whereas Popeye's didn't, had I known this I wouldn't have gone tracing every single wire to its position on the edge adapter. But then again it never hurts to double check, I did in fact not only check the voltages coming from the pins off the adapter, but also plugged both adapters into the harness then got a reading off the edge adapter itself and as you can see from one of the pictures, its the 12V we were missing before!!!! :)

I ordered all the parts (excluding wire) from Mouser as they carry the needed Molex adapters that were used on the original Nintendo Harness's excluding the little black ones, I've tried finding those but have had no luck, and from what I have heard everyone else say it's still unknown exactly what those were or how to get a hold of them. (truthfully...I'm willing to bet they are in some box in a Mouser warehouse in plain site with no orders as nobody knows their true identity) So instead I just used simple black connectors, I have included the parts list for anyone interested in ordering the parts from mouser to make their own. Total was $9.01 + $4.99(S&H)

538-16-02-0102     QTY X20
538-50-57-9009     QTY X1
538-50-57-9010     QTY X1
538-02-06-2132     QTY X20
538-15-31-1091     QTY X1
538-15-31-1121     QTY X1


No comments:

Post a Comment